My first reaction to reading this article was about the first quote/joke that was made in the article. Reading the joke rather than hearing it may have effected my outlook on the joke. Not hearing how "so er" , or "er" was actually pronounced and having to make my own pronunciation of the word made the joke uninteresting. I think I put too much emphasis on the fact of attempting to say the word in the manner in which it was meant to be rather that looking at the joke as a whole. Doing this, made me not understand the joke whatsoever.
But then I kept reading, and I would have to agree with Lupino Lane's instruction manual of "How to become a Comedian." One of his points that put emphasis on was to stay away from the words that I presented earlier. "you see?" "you know" "um" and "er". Some of the audience would be thrown off be the use of these words. Later in that section, Lane says, "As we have seen, convention decreed that comedians should avoid that 'terrible syllable' that ray was fastidious in preparing his patter, but in the first joke...the joke is preceded by an 'er'. It is not out there to get a laugh in its own right, why did he make such an effort to produce it?" These are my thoughts exactly. If its not intended to make laughs...don't use it.
The one way I feel as if making comedy is different than acting is that you must be prepared to how the audience is acting and to distinguish exactly what they want and do not want. Lane also recommended to comedians, "It is just as well to have at least a half dozen songs in your repertoire." You never know what you will expect from your audience, so you must be prepared.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment