I cannot say that I have a favorite author, probably because I do not read enough to have one, but I could say that Mark Twain would definitely be included in a list if I made one. Dating back to high school, one of my favorite books of all time was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. In Tom's book, my favorite part was when the come out the back during their own funeral to surprise the town as the town thought he and Huck had died. In Huck's book, the part of the book that intrigued me the most was the controversy that Huck was faced with with the runaway slave. He struggled with the idea of whether to turn him in or not.
I agree with what the article said about Twain's humor in his stories. He knows what he says will be funny, but he plays it off as if he didn't think it would be funny. Conversely, the European writers would make a big deal of how a joke was upcoming. Humor for me comes when it is not expected. I feel as if humor is built up, you end up being let down cause it's not as funny as you had hoped it would be. Humor must be solely unexpected.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment